Sunday, June 1, 2014

Geocaching Sunday!

After the fun the family and I had last week, click there to refresh your mind, we decided to make that our Sunday morning routine. This week we researched around Charlotte and figured we would hit another local park!  Make sure you read through this entire post.You will want to hear what "fun" I had. 

We got there pretty early to beat the heat and Disc Golf crowd.  Lots of the caches we were after were on the trail and no one wants a kid beamed in the head with a flying disc!

What is "disc golf" you ask?  BASICALLY you have flying discs (the cool kids don't call it Frisbee Golf since Frisbee is a brand and not the item used), and you play like golf.  Instead of hitting a ball you throw a disc into a big target.  There is a whole association for disc golf!   Tournaments and everything! Professional Disc Golf Association

We started on our way and this week we found out first micro cache. We found one in a film canister last week, but this was pretty darn tiny. It was so tiny and well hidden it took forever to find.


We found a total of 5 this week.  Many of these were off the trail and would be IMPOSSIBLE without the GPS.  Seriously.   Can you see that one above V's finger? A TINY capsule on a tree branch.


Of course there was a handy ammo can.  I really like these. They typically have things the kids can swap out for in them. This week Aidan weighed the pros and cons and decided not to swap any of his items.  Aidan grabbed the camera at this point and started documenting.



We were walking and I was yelling at the kids not to run (wet ground) and the next thing I know....BAM. I slipped on mud and busted it hardcore.  I scratched my arm up and was covered in mud.  I pulled my pride together, brushed off some mud,  and we carried on. There was one last cache I wanted to find.  It was the last on the disc golf trail.  We found it, but it was so off the track we had to figure out how to get back.  We came upon a tree that had fell down and a few logs around it.  I decided to step on a log to get over.


It was at this moment that the log DECIDED to be a rotten log and break apart under my foot.  Doesn't sound so bad, huh? WRONG. My left leg fell down into a hole UP TO MY THIGH. It really was no fun.  The first thing I thought of was "WHAT IF THERE IS A SNAKE!"  The second thing  was "If i move my leg the wrong way, I am about to break it."  I pulled myself out slowly, dusted off my pride AGAIN, and we went to the playground.
 


I plopped my butt down, brushed off some mud, and of course I alerted my friends of my close call with death on Facebook.  


I texted my friend over at An Ordinary Blog and told her what happened to which she replied "I don't think I would geocache again" or something along that line.

I kind of have to. We found our first Travel Bug as a family! More about that later this week. 

  
Have any of you tried it since I posted about it last week?

No comments:

Post a Comment